VRS Communities Society is looking for a Full-Time Prep-Cook/Cook to join our team at our site in Osoyoos, Sunshine Ridge Seniors Community. If you’re looking for a position with great working hours and work-life balance, then this may be the position for you! Continue reading below for more information. We look forward to working with you!
The Cook is responsible for the preparation, storage, and service of menu items to the required standard. Responsibilities also include the maintenance of the work area in a clean, safe, and orderly manner, and the general direction of kitchen staff in the absence of the Food Service Manager. Using production checks and standardized recipes, the Cook is responsible for ensuring that proper meals are prepared and served on time to residents and guests. Ensures work areas are maintained in a safe and sanitary condition. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other staff members. All duties are performed in the best interest of the residents and their families, and in accordance with VRS Communities Society(VRS)vision, mission and values statements.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Cooks and prepares fresh food items accurately according to menu plans and standardized recipes.
2.Participates in the planning and preparation of food for special functions.
3.In the absence of the Food Service Manager, the Cook is responsible for the direction of department staff.
4.Regulates workflow to ensure food items are prepared according to schedule.
5.Checks and prepares weekly food orders as required.
6.Ensures dietary and cooking equipment and supplies are used and stored in a safe and efficient manner. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to the designated supervisor.
7.Ensures dietary and cooking equipment and designated work areas are kept clean and tidy.
8.Maintains a current knowledge of and complies with all department policies and procedures.
9.Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be skilled at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to prioritize and plan work activities to use time efficiently.
- Must be dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to provide performance through management feedback.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain good interpersonal relations by displaying tact, courtesy and patience with residents and staff.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- WHMIS Certificate.
- Food Safe Level 1.
- 1 year experience working as a cook.
- Previous experience working with seniors is considered an asset.
- Must be able to speak English fluently and communicate effectively both verbally and in the composition of written materials.
- Must pass a Criminal Record Check.
SCHEDULE: days and hours of work TBD and flexible
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.34 per hour
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (required)
- cooking: 1 year (required)
- Food Safe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent (required)
- WHMIS Certification (preferred)