Title: Restaurant Manager (Front of House)
Reports to: Culinary Director
Summary of Position: As the Restaurant Manager, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring the seamless operation of our restaurant, aligning with our vision and commitment to exceptional guest experiences. Collaborating closely with the Culinary Director, and other BOV department heads, you will oversee all aspects of day-to-day operations, maintaining high standards in sales, guest service, food quality, cleanliness, and employee satisfaction.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Fully comprehend and communicate all company and restaurant policies, procedures, standards, specifications, and guidelines.
- Collaborate with Culinary Director to establish and refine standards across various operational areas.
- Ensure a safe environment for guests and staff alike at all times and taking corrective actions when necessary; includes reporting maintenance or equipment issues and safety concerns to Culinary Director asap
- Manage and supervise day-to-day FOH restaurant operations, making it an integral part of the winery experience.
- Ensure guests receive responsive, friendly, and courteous communication and service consistently.
- Guarantee consistent preparation and service of food and beverage products according to established recipes, portioning, cooking standards, and service guidelines.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, profitability, quality, appearance, sanitation, and cleanliness through effective employee training and fostering a positive working environment.
- Work closely with BOH Leaders to ensure an exceptional and cohesive guest and staff experience.
- Control cash and receipts, adhering to proper cash handling and reconciliation procedures.
- Make informed FOH employment and termination decisions in coordination with Culinary Director.
- Continually strive to develop FOH staff in managerial and professional capacities.
- Prepare all necessary paperwork, including forms, reports, and schedules, in an organized and timely manner.
- Manage FOH inventory systems and ensure adherence to the company's policies.
- Oversee equipment maintenance programs, ensuring all FOH service equipment is clean and in excellent working condition.
- Monitor product deliveries to ensure correctness, count, and condition, following restaurant policies and procedures.
- Manage orders (increase and decrease par levels) for linens and cleaning supplies during seasonal demands.
- Oversee compliance with company policies on employee performance appraisals and administer corrective actions when necessary.
- Schedule labour based on anticipated business activity, meeting staffing needs while achieving labour cost objectives.
- Communicate schedules to FOH staff in a timely manner.
Communication and Meetings:
- Utilize the company's software and computer systems for daily logs as a communication tool
- Attend weekly or bi-weekly management meetings prepared with reviews and relevant issues.
- Ensure full compliance with federal, provincial, and municipal regulations related to liquor, health, safety, and labour requirements.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams to develop, plan, and execute restaurant marketing, advertising, and promotional activities.
- Fill in where needed to uphold guest service standards and ensure efficient operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management, Business Administration, or a related field is preferred.
- Proven experience as a Restaurant Manager or in a similar role within the hospitality industry.
- Strong background in managing day-to-day restaurant operations, including staff supervision, financial management, and customer service.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication and organizational abilities.
- Proficient in financial management, budgeting, and cost control.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making capabilities.
- Familiarity with restaurant management software and point-of-sale (POS) systems.
- Knowledge of health, safety, and sanitation regulations.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Customer-focused mindset with a commitment to delivering an exceptional guest experience.
- Food Safe or equivalent food safety certification.
- Serving it Right
- First Aid & CPR & AED certification
- Familiarity with the wine industry and an appreciation for the intricacies of wine service
- Experience in creating and implementing marketing initiatives for restaurants.
- Proven ability to develop and lead a high-performing team.
- Passion for the culinary arts and a commitment to maintaining high food quality standards.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and business needs.
- Ability to foster a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Strong business acumen and understanding of industry trends.
About Burrowing Owl Vineyards Ltd.
We strive to provide a warm and welcoming employment experience for all staff. We believe in work-life balance and ensuring staff have the training, support, and opportunities for growth to reach their full potential. Burrowing Owl Vineyards is owned and operated by the Wyse family, and we operate based on the following:
Our Mission Statement
To create premium quality wine and hospitality experiences that enhance social connections for our customers and co-workers alike while caring for the environment, its inhabitants, and our surrounding ecosystems.
Our Core Values
- We care deeply about creating the finest quality products and services we can.
- We monitor the environmental impact of our actions and strive to reduce our footprint daily.
- We enjoy contributing to our guests' and co-worker’s life experiences and aim to enhance their social connections.
- We have fun and look forward to going to work each day.
- We believe in and actualize the family values of kindness, honesty, mutual respect, responsibility, accountability, compassion, and flexibility.
- We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable environment for all customers and employees.
- We are resourceful, curious, and hardworking team players.
Employment benefits for staff in all departments
- Competitive wages with gratuities in some departments
- Staff discounts in the Wine Shop, Sonora Room and Guest House
- Annual and seasonal employee social functions
- End-of-season wine bonus
- Excellent work environment
- Employee housing is available for some roles
Burrowing Owl Vineyards Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer and ensures Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in our hiring practices.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $26.00-$30.00 per hour
Expected hours: 30 – 40 per week